Working alongside with Gaia Repossi, daughter and creative director of the Italian brand, Benjamin Comar was just appointed CEO of Repossi. Founded in 1920 in Turin, Repossi is a family-owned jewelry company. LVMH recently agreed to take a minority stake, which will enable the Italian jeweller to develop its distribution network while benefiting from LVMH’s managerial know-how. Being the first outsider to the family, Comar shares his beliefs on the evolution of time in our society that never sleeps, stops or slows down…
By Eleonor Picciotto
– NELSON MANDELA USED TO SAY THAT “WE MUST USE TIME WISELY AND FOREVER REALIZE THAT THE TIME IS ALWAYS RIPE TO DO RIGHT.”
It’s a fact that time passes more quickly as life goes on. And with the new technologies, time has begun to move even faster still. The time we have for reflection is becoming shorter and shorter. One has to learn how to stop and meditate, to get the perspective necessary to make the right decisions. It’s not a waste of time, but rather a time-saver for the future.
– ALBERT EINSTEIN USED TO SAY THAT “THE ONLY REASON FOR TIME IS SO THAT EVERYTHING DOESN’T HAPPEN AT ONCE.”
I like this phrase very much: it represents structure. I think it’s particularly relevant to the world of jewellery, where the notion of time is fundamental. This is true both during the period of creation and the manufacturing process. It also holds true for the length of time one owns these jewels that can be handed down from one generation to another.
– S. LEWIS USED TO SAY THAT “THE FUTURE IS SOMETHING, WHICH EVERYONE REACHES AT THE RATE OF 60 MINUTES AN HOUR, WHATEVER HE DOES, WHOEVER HE IS.”
The future is there for anyone to grasp. The technological revolution has opened up an extremely wide field of possibilities. It’s important to look forward without ever trying to recreate the past.
– LEO TOLSTOY USED TO SAY THAT “THE TWO MOST POWERFUL WARRIORS ARE PATIENCE AND TIME.”
In today’s world, demands are continually made on us and we are constantly solicited. Hence, knowing how to take your time becomes a real challenge. Those who can master time without becoming its slave have a power that makes them stronger than others.
– WARREN BUFFETT USED TO SAY THAT “SOMEONE IS SITTING IN THE SHADE TODAY BECAUSE SOMEONE PLANTED A TREE A LONG TIME AGO.”
Thinking of future generations is fundamental, just as ecology and sustainable development have become integral parts of our thought process. The luxury industry takes pleasure in offering consumers products with long lifetimes, if not products that last forever. I believe the luxury industry should integrate these ideas more and more.
– PABLO PICASSO USED TO SAY THAT “IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO BECOME YOUNG.”
Keeping one’s mind fresh and new is the key engine of life. When one is young, one is in a hurry to grow up; as a grown-up, one would like to look and feel younger again. The best way to fight this paradox is to keep one’s mind and spirit young at all times. Always remain open and curious!